Visit the Houghton-le-Spring Heritage Centre
[ YOU ARE HERE: Houghton Heritage > Articles > Houghton at War > Victory Mugs ]


Victory mugs were given out from the Rectory gatehouse in Houghton-le-Spring

One of the Houghton-le-Spring Victory Mugs
The Victory Mugs, which measured about 10 cm in height, and were similar to a half pint mouldered beer glass with a V sign on the front, were given out across Britain to children who were born during the War.

The national scheme took place after the War had ended.

The Victory Mugs for the residents of Houghton were distributed from the Rectory Gatehouse, which was located at what is now Rectory Park. The queue was so long it stretched outside the archway and around the corner. Copyright © Books of the North 2009

The Rectory archway in the 1950s


Article and research by Paul Lanagan, local historian

If you have enjoyed this article and would like to make a donation towards the website's costs please click below:



[ YOU ARE HERE: Houghton Heritage > Articles > Houghton at War > Victory Mugs ]


Copyright © 2011 - All Rights Reserved | About this site

PAGE UPDATED: 22/08/2011

sergeant frank stamp and houghton-le-spring 1941 Hurrican fighter plan crashed in Houghton-le-Spring.
A tank parked outside of Robinson's Brewery on Durham Road, Houghton-le-Spring, during the First World War.
Frederick Denby of Houghton, joined the Durham Light Infantry, was a prisoner of war for four years and returned home at Christmas 1918.
Soldiers marched along Church Street, Houghton-le-Spring, 1940.
Bombing raids in World War 2 in Houghton-le-Spring, included four high explosive bombs being dropped onto Houghton Cut in July 1940, and an incendiary bomb being dropped between Houghton and Seaham in March 1943.
Houghton-le-Spring's adopted warship is HMS Welland, which was adopted during Warship Week in December 1941.
George Fenton of Houghton served with 8th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry, and was a Prisoner of War in Stalag 8B.
During the Second World War, in 1941,a Hurricane fighter tried to make an emergency landing on Houghon Golf Course. The pilot Sergeant Frank Stamp of the Royal Canadian Air Force sadly lost his life.
Captain William Brown, a Territorial Officer, was a solicitor in the Sunderland Street firm of Legge & Miller.